Become a Sister
Are you called to religious life?
How do you know? This is the question most often asked of the Sisters. There are no easy answers. The process of answering the question of whether or not you are called to serve is called discernment, and it can be a very exciting time of self discovery.
The call to serve comes in many different ways. As you contemplate religious life, ask yourself…
- Why am I considering religious/missionary life?
- How is my heart responding to the concerns of the world?
- What am I passionate about?
- What values do I hold?
- Do I hear an inner voice? What is it saying?
- Do I feel the need to make life better?
- Do I feel that there is something missing in my life?
- Is the work that I am doing making a difference in the world?
- Do I sense the hand of God in my life?
- What is God inviting me to do?
Reflect on your feelings
Don’t ignore feelings of anxiety or confusion during the early stages of discernment. Allow yourself to stay with these emotions and invite God to join you in reflecting on them. Listen carefully to what God may be telling you. Be present to God and the messages that move within you.
Discuss you feelings with an adviser, and meet with your Spiritual Director regularly. You may also want to contact one or more religious communities and ask questions of the Sisters.
The Mission Helpers of the Sacred Heart Sisters are available to answer your questions and help you begin the discernment journey. To talk with a Sister, Click here.
“Responding to God’s Call” – www.nccv-vocations.org
“Religious Life and You” – www.VocationsGuide.org
“The Art of Discernment” – www.avemariapress.com
“Discernment: The Art of Choosing Well” – www.liguori.org and www.Amazon.com
“Catholic Network of Volunteer Services – firstname.lastname@example.org
“CONNECTIONS: Directory of Volunteer Opportunities” – www.pallotticenter.org