Sister Marie Madigan – 70 Years

Born in Brighton, Massachusetts, Sister Marie entered the Mission Helper Community in 1948, having learned about the Community through a copy of The Mission Helper magazine.  Then she read that Cardinal Cushing had called for 100 women to enter the Community but that he would consider the call a success if only one woman answered.

“I decided that I would be that one,” says Sister Marie.  “Even today I am influenced by his statement and I am aware of how important it is to reach out to people.”

Early ministries took her to Michigan, Massachusetts, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, New York and Virginia.  Her focus was on teaching religion, training catechists, parish visiting, parent education and conducting diocesan workshops.  She was the director of religious education at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Brockton, Massachusetts, from 1976 to 2009.

In recalling the hundreds of families whose lives she has touched over the years, she remembers especially a handicapped child with major physical problems who became a blessing and a source of great faith to family and friends.

“There are handicapped children among us who are heroes, living among us quietly, accepting their circumstances without complaint.  They show the world how to live.”

Sister Marie holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology from Loyola University Maryland and a Master’s Degree in Theology from Manhattanville College in New York.