Day 3, The Witness of Fellowship
- Jeremiah 31:10-13, They shall come and sing aloud on the height of Zion.
- Psalm 122, Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: May they prosper who love you.
- 1 John 4:16b-21, Those who say, “I love God,” and hate their brothers or sisters are liars.
- John 17:20-23, That they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me.
Division among Christians is an obstacle to evangelization. The world cannot believe that we are Jesus’ disciples while our love for one other is incomplete. We feel the pain of this division when we cannot receive together the body and blood of Christ at the Eucharist, the sacrament of unity.
The source of our joy is our common life in Christ. To live our life of fellowship every day is to welcome, love, serve, pray and witness with Christians from diverse traditions. It is the pearl of great value given to us by the Holy Spirit.
The night before his death, Jesus prayed for unity and love among us. Today we raise our hands and pray with Jesus for Christian unity. We pray for the bishops, ministers and members of all churches. We pray that the Holy Spirit will lead us all on this path of unity.
Lord Jesus, who prayed that we might all be one, we pray to you for the unity of Christians according to your will, according to your means. May your Spirit enable us to experience the suffering caused by division, to see our sin and to hope beyond all hope. Amen.
- How do we regard Christians of other churches and are we prepared to ask forgiveness for prejudice towards them?
- What can each of us do to decrease division among Christians?
Source: Greymoor Ecumenical and Interreligious Institute